Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] webhelp.xsl customizations

Hi David,

Excuse me for being dense, but are you saying you've put that
empty template in the SVN version of the XSL style sheets? If so,
will that change be in the next release of the DocBook style
sheets?

Yes, the xsls in svn but not yet part of a release are available for
evaluation as part of the snapshot builds. For now, you can use this
url to download the snapshots:

http://snapshots.thingbag.net/

Eventually http://snapshots.docbook.org will take you there.

Great, thanks! Admittedly, we've been slow to update to the latest DocBook XSL style sheet versions here at MySQL docs. We're getting better about this, though, and I've just proposed that we pull in the svn snapshots into our infrastructure, which would make it a lot easier to run tests in our environment.

Also, I wonder how user.webhelp.head.content is supposed to work.
You're saying it's called at the end of user.head.content, so I
would assume it becomes part of that template. But if that's
correct, it would just *add* stuff to the user.head.content
template, rather than replacing what's there. This wouldn't make
much sense. Apparently, I'm missing something.

Yes, the idea is that these empty templates hooks that allow you to
add stuff. In this case it adds whatever you want to user.head.content
at the end in the same way that user.head.content adds stuff to
system.head.content in the base xsls. For example, you might want to
add your own<script>  elements to support additional custom
functionality or your own css.

Got it. So your additions are actually for adding more customized HTML header stuff. Although I don't have an immediate need for that at the moment, it's probably a good idea to have it at hand in case it's needed.

Thanks for taking into consideration the proposed parametrizations, and for pointing out "webhelp.indexer.language=zz" to turn off the stemmer (although I'll give it a try!).

Cheers,

Stefan

To modify stuff within user.head.content without overriding it, I have
to parameterize it for  you.

You asked for things that we should be able to
configure/customize. Here's a list:

(1)<style type="text/css">: I'd suggest to put that in a CSS file.
The template already links 3 CSS files, so adding another one
shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, that had occurred to me too.

(2)<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="../common/jquery/theme-redmond/jquery-ui-1.8.2.custom.css"/>:
As said before, this is probably high on anyone's list of things to
be customized.

(3)<script type="text/javascript"
src="../common/jquery/jquery-1.4.2.min.js">  and<script
type="text/javascript"
src="../common/jquery/jquery-ui-1.8.2.custom.min.js">: This should
be configurable because it contains version numbers. Hard-coding
makes it harder to upgrade jQuery JavaScript.

Ok, that's easy enough to parameterize those two.

(4)<script type="text/javascript"
src="{concat('search/stemmers/',$webhelp.indexer.language,'_stemmer.js')}">:

While the integrated jQuery search works great for simple searches, I
hear that the stemmer-based search isn't really useful ATM, so
that would be a candidate for stuff to turn off.

So the stemmer has been improved recently to fix some bugs, so check
it out again. To disable stemming, just set the indexer language to an
unsupported langauge, e.g.:

webhelp.indexer.language=zz

David

That's about it for the moment. :-)

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Stefan

--
Cheers,

Stefan Hinz <stefan.hinz@oracle.com>, MySQL Documentation Manager

Phone: +49-30-82702940, Fax: +49-30-82702941, http://dev.mysql.com/doc

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG
Registered Office: Riesstr. 25, 80992 Muenchen, Germany
Commercial Register: Local Court Of Munich, HRA 95603
Managing Director: Jürgen Kunz

General Partner: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Register Of Chamber Of Commerce: Midden-Niederlande, No. 30143697
Managing Directors: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher