Subject: Author in Generated Table of Contents?

The Snows of Kilimanjaro . . . Ernest Hemingway

It seems <author> is not one of the elements subject to ordinary inclusion in the generated TOC?  Tried working through Chapter 10 of the Docbook XSL-Complete Guide, with emphasis on the section "Adding elements to a TOC," but the snippet code there no longer appears to closely resembles the current code, and my own humble efforts to modify autotoc.xsl were futile.

My existing doc structure is basic:

book / article / title
(book / article / subtitle)?
book / article / info / author / personname / firstname, surname
book / article / para...

Am using epub and XHTML-1_1.

Can use CSS to generate the separator between title and author (leader dots in above example), just need the author to appear with an identifying ID= in the XHTML.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

David J. Rubin
roobdj@mac.com