Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Reasoning behind epub <h> level numbering

From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Montag, 20. Februar 2012 18:35
To: Xmplar; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Not sure why the epub stylesheet in 1.76.1 changes it.  I suspect someone thought the top level heading in each HTML file should be an h1.  The epub3 stylesheet in the current snapshot does not do that.

I created a customization layer years ago to use <h1> for all chapter titles when generating HTML files (with chunking). I guess I prefer it this way as I believe that search engines will treat all webpages similarly and don’t really see the structure between the book and the chapters. I can’t prove this though. But then my log files don’t contain any data to make me change this either (which doesn’t mean much necessarily; maybe nothing would be different if all my chapters started with <h2>). Still, if in doubt I prefer <h1> over <h2>. :)

Boris