Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Menu arrow off-centered in PDF

Title: Menu arrow off-centered in PDF

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, I am getting an actual arrow character. Using the baseline shift worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Jeff

From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:04 PM
To: Jeff Storey; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Jeff,

Just to be clear here, your example shows an ASCII representation of an arrow using dash and greater-than, but you are getting an actual arrow character, right?

Yes, the bottom of the arrow character does rest on the baseline, because the stylesheet does not say otherwise.  That character is copied from the stylesheet param "menuchoice.menu.separator", whose default value is:

  <xsl:param name="menuchoice.menu.separator"> &#8594; </xsl:param>

Since the stylesheet uses xsl:copy on that param, you could customize it by putting an fo:inline to adjust the baseline:

  <xsl:param name="menuchoice.menu.separator"> <fo:inline baseline-shift=".2em">&#8594;</fo:inline> </xsl:param>

or some other XSL-FO property to adjust its baseline.  I'm not sure what property you would use to get it to be "centered with the text".

Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 5:48 PM

Subject: [docbook-apps] Menu arrow off-centered in PDF

My docbook has some menuchoice that look like:

   <menuchoice><guimenuitem>Import</guimenuitem><guimenuitem>Import Image</guimenuitem></menuchoice>

As expected, in my PDF it says: Import -> Import Image

However, the arrow is not centered with the text. It looks like the arrow is along the baseline of the text. Is this expected?

thanks,
Jeff