Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] XML Table Structure, color and text direction with DocBook and Oxygen

Hi Daniel,
I think most of your questions are answered here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Tables.html

In particular the sections titled Cell spanning, Cell rotation, and Background color.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 6:29 AM

Hello,,
we recently started transferring our user manuals from Word do DocBook.
We realized on our first pages that we had problems structuring our tables in the same manner as we did with word.

As an example:

Purpose|Document
Purpose|Application
Purpose|Application
Purpose|App1|                      App2
        |Content|                Content
Purpose|App1|                      App2
        |Content|               Content

The purposes on the left side occupy the entire left side of the table without any disruptions, whereas the documents on the right side have a subdivision into additional purposes or application. As an e.g., one application is used for testing, the other one is used for reporting. But both are used for automatization. As a consequence

"Purpose|Application" turns into                 "Purpose|App1|                      App2"
                                                |Content|               Content

Since most "purposes" consist of at least two cells that have been merged, we cannot simply leave cells empty. Additionally, there is not only one, but usually two ore more application fulfilling a certain purpose. Also, and this it what makes it pretty hard for us, "Purpose", "App", and Document have a grey background and are written bold.

As you can see there is pretty much to take care of:
- How can you structure a table similar as in word, e.g. by merging and subdividing/ splitting cells?
- How can you define a cells background color? Purpose and Document (at the top of the table) are the table headings and thus have a different format than the rest of the table.
- Is it possible to change a cells/ tables text direction, so that a table? In some cases, the text direction of a text within a tables has to be changed ( e.g. 90°)

Thanks for the help!

Yours sincerely,
Daniel Keyes

Disclaimer
The information contained in this e - mail and any attachments
( together the "message") is intended for the addressee only and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you have received
the message by mistake please delete it and notify the sender and do
not copy or distribute it or disclose its contents to anyone.

FINARIS Financial Software Partner GmbH
Sömmerringstr. 23, 60322 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Registered at Frankfurt/Main, HRB 52873

Managing Directors:
Dipl. Inf. Hermann Friebel, Dipl. Ing. Kai Bächle, Dipl. Inf. Werner Märkl