Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] learning more

Tim,

I use Michael Kay's XSLT 2.0 book. It has some flaws (like being hard to navigate; both because the headers don't contain enough information and because some basic concepts are spread around), but it has some extensive examples and a lot of detail. It also does a pretty good job of identifying 2.0 vs. 1.0 features. It also covers XPath pretty well.

Regardless of which book or other resources you use, I would suggest "assigning" yourself some basic tasks to try and learn by doing. For example, I wrote a stylesheet for the IEEE publication format just to learn how to deal with a two-column format. Doing that format also forced me to figure out how to do a run-in section heading and some other things I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. There are all sorts of customizations you can try out that will get you into the stylesheets and teach you XSLT.

Good luck.

Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press