Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Better rendering for programlisting

On 06/05/12 01:23, David Cramer wrote:

On 05/05/2012 10:38 AM, davep wrote:

1. Stick with what we have now. 2. Use the table solution and
accept the limitation that all lines must always be the same
height.

Why is this an issue Norm? How often in a fixed width font do users
want exponents/Drop caps etc?

The callouts cause the lines that contain them to be a little higher
than the others, causing the line numbers to become out of whack. If
you have more than a couple of callouts, the code listing ends up
extending beyond the line numbers and obviously the line numbers
aren't accurate.

Understood. I viewed them as character glyphs.

I'm open to suggestions on 3, but I'm not likely to figure it out
myself.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

You've obviated the line numbers by putting content in col 2... why
not finish the job and put co in col 3?

But what if the user wants to put the callout somewhere other than the
end of the line? If you do that, you should just abandon callouts and
refer to line numbers from a list below the code listing.

If you want that you can't let your readers cut and paste as (I think)
is the objective here?
'Readers come first'??

regards

--