Subject: Re: So, no books? (was Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Future of XSL-FO)

Robin:

When I expressed my opinion of FO being as complete as it needed to be perhaps I should have clarified a few things.

Is Docbook a viable way to publish book-based content. Yes, it is

Is it as complete as it need to be for me to consider it a full-fledged book publishing tool. No, and here are the reasons why I think this is the case.

You cannot do absolute positioning of content on a page
Typography is weak (at least with the open source tools available)

If anyone can point me to resources that address those two areas, I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Carlos