Subject: Padding on admonitions (fo stylesheets)

I just ran into something curious with the 1.76.1 ns stylesheets (also using RenderX).

I'm trying to create an admonition style that has a shaded background with the text inside surrounded by 8pts of padding.

To do that, I did nothing to any of the xsl, I just set padding="8pts" and background-color="#E0E0E0" in the admonition.properties attribute set.

That works, but the outside bounds of the admonition now extend 8pts beyond the outside margin. If I set the padding to 0pts, the text stays the same, but the background shrinks to the size of the text.

I thought padding was defined as it is for table cells, that is the space between the boundary of the box and the contents. I would expect, of course, that this would potentially cause the box to expand vertically (at least in western text), but not horizontally, and not outside the text margin.

Am I misinterpreting the meaning of padding, or is there a potential bug here?

BTW, I "fixed" the problem by setting margin="0pts" but that seems to be somehow wrong:-).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Dick Hamilton
-------