Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Indexing.

Regarding the (continued) label for long index entries that break across a column, I've implemented that feature for a client in XEP using its extension property rx:table-omit-initial-header, in a manner similar to that feature for repeating table titles across page breaks. In this case, each primary indexterm is placed in a one-column table. I think the XSL 1.1 retrieve-table-marker feature could probably do the same thing without resorting to an extension, but I've not tried it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "davep" <davep@dpawson.co.uk>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 12:10 AM

On 06/05/12 22:45, John W. Shipman wrote:

There are certain very specific fetishes I have about indexing
that I see violated quite often.

!Not sure you should be talking about your fetishes in public John!!

The index to the "Guide to LaTeX" by Helmut Kopka has an example
of a horrible flaw that severely compromises its usefulness:
if a major topic is continued over a page break, the major
topic is NOT repeated on the continuation column.

?? Continuation column?

topic     page 4  -   5
Is the '5' the continuation column?

Think about how you use an index: you depend on the top words
of each column to be in alphabetical order. But on page
584 of Kopka's book, the entire column is a continuation of
major topic "package", but the first entry is "amsmath".
So you think you're in the "a" section of the index, but you're
actually in the "p" section!

I think I interpret your 'continuation column' as meaning
the part of the back of the book index which happens to have
a page break in the middle of a main entry? Is that right?

It should look like this, but in many books I don't see a
line like the first one:

package (continued)
amsmath, 191, 269-270
amsopn, ...

a) I don't think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that we'd
see the first line in a db output? Happens with table headers
but indexes? I.e. we'd only see
   amsmath, 191, 269-270
   amsopn, ...
Where the reader has to infer the sub-topic from the indent?

An obvious application for marks.

Yes.

My next suggestion may slightly increase the page count, so I
never mentioned it back in the day when dead trees were the
only route to publication. However, the increase is small,
and inexcusable if you expect most people will e-read your
book.

As an example, the discussion of the amsmath package should
have two entries:

amsmath package, 372
packages, 366
amsmath, 372

In general, if an indexable phrase has more than one important
word, it should appear in the index under each of those words.

+1 with your example. Covered in the book I'm reading, though
the author cations on making it an iron rule. Again the reader
comes first.

I can't give you any useful suggestions on current tools. Back
in the day I just invented a file format for entering all the
indexable references and then wrote my own software in C to
generate the index in TeX. This approach assumes that the
page numbers are all cast in stone, which was fine because
in my cases the rest of the book had all been put to bed.

Which is the case the author talks about (quite endlessly in fact)
but not so in my case. I'm thinking I may be able to have a two
swipe go at it, but that's for the future.

Thanks John.

regards

--
Dave Pawson