Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] two-column layout for article abstract

Hi Stefan,
Yes, that looks fine. I misunderstood your original mail, as I thought the abstract was not included in the spanned content and you wanted to add it. But I had that backwards, and see now that in IEEE articles the abstract is not spanned.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Seefeld" <stefan@seefeld.name>
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:59 PM

Hi Bob,

thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I entirely understand the logic, but
here is what I figured out would help, so please let me know if my logic
is approximately correct:

With the default stylesheets, the "abstract" element is dealt with as
part of the titlepage. In the case of Richard's IEEE article
customization, where a two-column layout is used, the titlepage is dealt
with with

     <fo:block id="{$id}" span="all"
xsl:use-attribute-sets="ieee.title.block.properties">
       <xsl:call-template name="article.titlepage"/>
     </fo:block>

If I want the abstract to respect the two-column layout, I need to move
it out of the titlepage block. To do this I re-generate the titlepage
templates with the abstract removed, then add a template

   <xsl:template match="d:article/d:info">
     <xsl:apply-templates select="d:abstract"/>
   </xsl:template>

that handles the abstract in non-titlepage.mode.

The effect of this is that the "abstract" block is moved from the
titlepage block (which uses 'span="all"') downwards, such that it flows
in a single column (the first typically, as it is the first thing
printed after the titlepage block. Is my understanding correct ? And is
the approach sensible ?

Thanks,
       Stefan