Subject: toc customization question

hi, I have one particular section in which I would like to omit the
table of contents.
I want the section to appear in the chapter table of contents, just
not have a toc generated on this section.

The section has the attribute userlevel='syntax'. I tried the
following template but it had no effect I could see (the toc showed up
on the section). I thought it would not generate the toc in the
specified section and produce a single level toc for chapters (i.e. a
toc of the top-level sections in the chapter):

 <xsl:template match="d:section[@userlevel='syntax']" mode="toc">
    <xsl:param name="toc-context" select="." />
    <xsl:if test="local-name($toc-context) = 'chapter'">
      <xsl:call-template name="subtoc">
        <xsl:with-param name="toc-context" select="$toc-context"/>
        <xsl:with-param name="nodes" select="foo"/>
      </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:if>
  </xsl:template>

How can I omit the toc for section[@userlevel='syntax'] and still have