Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] include MathML files with the help of XSL

I think the requestor wanted to do this without modifying the XML files to add the references to the MathML files:

dynamically pull in MathML files (by their ID)

That's why he was trying to use XInclude in XSL. However, XInclude cannot be used inside an XSLT stylesheet because XSLT processors do not recognize it or process it. The XInclude step is performed when the files are parsed by the XML parser, before the stylesheet sees the XML.

But a stylesheet can use the XSLT document() function to open and include other content. Something like this would work

<xsl:template match="inlineequation">
 <xsl:variable name="id" select="@id"/>
 <xsl:variable name="mathml" select="concat($id, '.xml')"/>
 <xsl:apply-templates select="document($mathml,.)/*"/>
</xsl:template>

You might want to add some error checking to this code. You can use xsl:apply-templates here because the DocBook stylesheets already have templates matching on MathML elements, and they just copy the elements through to the output. In html/math.xsl you will find:

<xsl:template match="mml:*" xmlns:mml="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";>
 <xsl:copy>
   <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
   <xsl:apply-templates/>