Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] embedding fonts in generated pdf

Hi Stefan,

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012, 14:57:37 schrieb Stefan Seefeld:

> [...]
>
> Thanks for the explanation. You are describing steps to change the
> font-family.

That's true.

> The issue I have above is not with font-families, but with
> font types.

I know. However, you need to insert your font somewhere, so the font-family
attribute maps to a font type.

> The generated pdf is referring to various Type 1 fonts
> (Times, Helvetica, Courier). I have locally installed the equivalent
> TrueType fonts, and told FOP about them in the configuration file. But
> it still generates pdfs referring to unembedded Type 1 fonts.
> The change of a font family doesn't even enter the picture here, or does
> it ?

Well, I guess it's a configuration issue. If you really want to use the
aequivalent to Times, Helvetica, and Courier, I've found a comment in the
"fop.xconf" file:

-----------
      <fonts>
        <!-- embedded fonts -->
        <!--
        This information must exactly match the font specified
        in the fo file. Otherwise it will use a default font.

        For example,
        <fo:inline font-family="Arial" font-weight="bold" font-style="normal">
            Arial-normal-normal font
        </fo:inline>
        for the font triplet specified by:

        If you do not want to embed the font in the pdf document
        then do not include the "embed-url" attribute.
        The font will be needed where the document is viewed
        for it to be displayed properly.

        possible styles: normal | italic | oblique | backslant
        possible weights: normal | bold | 100 | 200 | 300 | 400
                          | 500 | 600 | 700 | 800 | 900
        (normal = 400, bold = 700)
        -->

        <!--
        -->
      </fonts>

It seems to me, you need to remove the XML comment before <font metrics-url>
and add the path to the Arial TTF file. Same with the other two font types.

I haven't tried it out, but it could work. The other solution would be to use
a totally different font. In that case you have probably more glyphs available
than Arial or some Helvetica clone.

--
Gruß/Regards
  Thomas Schraitle