Subject: separating chapter labels and titles

Hi all,

I am working with ns-1.77.1 stylesheets to transform to single and chunked xhtml. What I'd like to do is produce chapter autolabels (perhaps other components later) in a different tag from the chapter titles. Something like this:

<h1 class="chapter-label">Chapter 7</h1>
<h1 class="title">This Really Good Chapter Title</h1>

This would allow me a ton more flexibility using CSS to style my titlepages.

I've been tracing the long trip a chapter title makes through the stylesheets until my eyes are crossed and I can't figure out where I could separate these 2 elements (especially since they are grouped together in the gentext template).

Is this possible without a dramatic overhaul of the way titles are handled?

Thanks,

jz