Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] What is Xml ?

That is right. The above is not XML. An XML document must have a single root
node.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-well-formed

|  I'm also a bit surprised by the lack of the usual version,
|  encoding and standalone attributes in the xml PI, though I
|  suspect they are actually optional.

The XML declaration cannot be just <?xml?>. If present (it doesn't have to
be), the version must be given.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-prolog-dtd (production 23).

|  And I've just found that it starts with (hex) ef bb bf,
|  before the "<?" - is that a byte-order mark ?  Or just
|  another non-standardness ?

That is a byte order mark (BOM) encoded in UTF-8.

http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM

Mauritz