Subject: ePub3 stylesheet question and possible bug

I've been trying out the ePub3 stylesheets, and so far they have been very good, but there is one anomaly.

In several places I use constructs like the following:

     <mediaobject>
         <imageobject role="html">
            <imagedata fileref="figures/xyz.jpg"/>
         </imageobject>
         <imageobject role="fo">
            <imagedata fileref="figures/xyz.svg"/>
         </imageobject>
      </mediaobject>

The stylesheets handle this as I would expect. There are no svg images in the resulting epub, and the xhtml never references any svg file (other than to declare the namespace, which is strange, but causes no trouble).

However, epubcheck complains about several <item> elements in the package.opf file that have the attribute: properties="svg"

From a cursory look at the stylesheets, it seems that when they generate the <item> element, they look for any image of type .svg inside the element <item> refers to, and if there is one, it adds that attribute, even if the imageobject has a role that will keep it from being included.

If I manually remove those attributes from package.opf, everything is fine and the epub passes epubcheck (3.0b5) cleanly.

So, it seems like either I'm coding the imagedata incorrectly or there is a bug in the epub3 stylesheets.

If anyone knows which it is, I'll be glad to fix my code if it's the former and file an RFE if it's the latter.

Thanks,
Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press