Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Request for subtitle of unexpected element: slides (update)

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:35:19 +0200
Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Thomas Schraitle <tom_schr@web.de>
> wrote: [...]
> > If you use xsl:value-of, you get the complete _string_ of your
> > subtitle content---without any quotes. The quotes can only appear
> > if you allow your template to process its child elements. Use
> > xsl:apply-templates and you will see the quotes.
>
> That is incorrect. I use <emphasis/> in my subtitle and it appears
> nicely in the PDF metadata header. The <emphasis/> element has been
> stripped out.

It seems, I wasn't clear enough or I confused you with my mail,
sorry. :)

Let me explain it in other words:
If you need a string representation of your subtitle, without any
markup, then yes, xsl:value-of is the correct way. With xsl:value-of
no templates are applied.

However, if you have templates that needs to be processed when it
appears in a subtitle, better use xsl:apply-templates (see the quote
example from my last mail).

Apart from the above thoughts, you can still try to introduce a new
template and remove your previous modifications (in your template
with match="*"). This time, replace xsl:apply-templates with
xsl:value-of:

  <xsl:template match="slidesinfo/subtitle[1]" mode="subtitle.markup">
     <xsl:value-of select="."/>
  </xsl:template>

That should give you (hopefully) the same results.

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle