Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSLT Performance

On 11.10.2012 17:31, Remko Tronçon wrote:

> Right, i forgot to mention that I need a Java processor. Changing to
> Saxon would indeed speed up things 2-3 times. I was hoping to find
> some other things that wouldn't require me to change XSLT processors.

If you know that switching to Saxon would mean 2-3x speedup then for
what you are waiting for? Other performance tuning tricks will usually
give you few percents, sometimes 10% or 20%. Definitively not 300%.

>> l10n code was refactored ~2 years ago to be much faster in typical
>> scenarios (no customizations). So please make sure that you are using
>
> I'm on 1.76.1, which seems to be roughly 2 years ago. I'll see if
> upgrading to a recent release helps.

I think that relevant changes are part of 1.76. It brough 300% speedup
in xsltproc which doesn't have so good optimizer and around 30% in
Saxon. I haven't done any benchmarks on Xalan as I wouldn't recommend to
use it and it is very easy to switch to Saxon even in closed
applications due to JAXP XSLT transformer factory configuration.

					Jirka