Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] re: How to create sidebars for epub3?

Regarding the issue of empty titlepage div creating problems:

I haven't tried sidebars in epub3, but I played around pretty heavily
with them in epub2. I found that when sidebar is outputted to xhtml,
it adds an extra   <div class="titlepage" /> in the output , and for
me at least it caused major difficulties rendering in the browser.

I looked at that bug before releasing 1.77.1 and didn't see a good way to fix it. The titlepage templates are generated from the titlepage spec file using template/titlepage.xsl, and any fix seemed to involve all elements with titles. I just looked again and came up with this customization workaround for sidebar:

<xsl:template match="d:sidebar">
   <xsl:call-template name="common.html.attributes"/>
   <xsl:call-template name="id.attribute"/>
   <xsl:call-template name="anchor"/>
   <xsl:variable name="titlepage">
     <xsl:call-template name="sidebar.titlepage"/>
   </xsl:variable>
<xsl:if test="count(exsl:node-set($titlepage)/descendant-or-self::*) &gt; 1">
     <xsl:copy-of select="$titlepage"/>
   </xsl:if>
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

This version puts the titlepage stuff into a variable and then tests to see if the results have more than one element. If there is a single element (which would be the case for an empty div), then the empty div is not output. I only did a couple of tests with this change, so let me know if it does or does not work for you.