Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Alternatives to bridgeheads

Hi Bob,

Yes, simplesect does all those things.  You can control whether or not
they appear in the table of contents with the 'simplesect.in.toc'
parameter.

Perfect. Thanks much!

Cheers,

Stefan

From: "Stefan Hinz" <stefan.hinz@oracle.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:06 AM
To: "DocBook Apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [docbook-apps] Alternatives to bridgeheads

We're currently using <bridgehead> a lot to emulate <section>, mostly
where we don't want sections to be split out into separate HTML pages
(and where we can't prevent that simply via the chunking level).

<bridgehead> has a number of drawbacks, though, one of them being that
it's not a container element.

I guess we're looking for something that satisfies these requirements:

* Produces a separate (not inline) title, unlike <formalpara>
* Takes a <title>, so that it can be xref'ed without having to supply
the link text, unlike <bridgehead>
* Acts as a wrapper around the associated content, unlike
<bridgehead>, and unlike <formalpara> (which wraps only a limited set
of elements, not including lists for example)
* Does not produce a standalone section (unlike <section> which might
or might not depending on nesting depth)

I don't know of anything like that. Does it exist? Does <simplesect>
do all that?

Cheers,

Stefan

Cheers,

Stefan Hinz <stefan.hinz@oracle.com>, MySQL Documentation Manager

Phone: +49-30-82702940, Fax: +49-30-82702941, http://dev.mysql.com/doc

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG
Registered Office: Riesstr. 25, 80992 Muenchen, Germany
Commercial Register: Local Court Of Munich, HRA 95603
Managing Director: Jürgen Kunz

General Partner: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Register Of Chamber Of Commerce: Midden-Niederlande, No. 30143697
Managing Directors: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher