Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] semantics of "replaceable" element.

I checked the archives, and apparently these templates that add a comma in the context of the function element were added very early in the XSL development, back in 2001. Given the variety of elements that function can contain, including indexterms,and the variety of contexts in which function can appear, including para, does anyone think these generated commas are appropriate? Are there more restricted contexts where they might be appropriate? If we eliminate the generated commas, would that mess up a lot of output?

For now, I would suggest that you

From: "Stefan Seefeld" <stefan@seefeld.name>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 4:05 PM
To: "Richard Hamilton" <hamilton@xmlpress.net>

On 11/05/2012 06:50 PM, Richard Hamilton wrote:
Hi Stefan,

I suspect the problem is in your customization. I just tried this with 1.77.1 (PDF and HTML), and there were no commas inserted in the output.

Hi Richard,

thanks for following up so quickly. I don't yet use a customization for
this. Please have a look at either the fo/inline.xsl or html/inline.xsl
stylesheets and look for the template matching
"d:function/d:replaceable". It does indeed add a comma if there is more
content after the replaceable element:

<xsl:template match="d:function/d:replaceable" priority="2">
 <xsl:call-template name="inline.italicmonoseq"/>
 <xsl:if test="following-sibling::*">
   <xsl:text>, </xsl:text>
 </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

(In my docs I have things like
<function>vsip_<replaceable>d</replaceable>clip</function>, such that
the comma would be inserted between the 'd' and the 'clip'.

   Stefan