Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] epub: does using images instead of chapter titles produce a valid epub file?

Sorry, I was thinking of FO output in my previous response.  You'll need something similar for the HTML output needed for epub.

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:23 PM

Hi,
If I understand you correctly, you want a text title in the title element that is used in the TOC and xrefs, but you want to replace that with an image only on the chapter title page.

One way would be to put the mediaobject with role="graphic.title" in the info element of each chapter, and then process that in place of the title for the chapter title page.  You can do that by customizing the titlepage spec file for chapter to call a custom template, replacing:

   <title t:named-template="component.title"

with something like:

   <title t:named-template="graphic.component.title"

compiling this into a new titlepage XSL module, and then creating a custom template something like this (untested):

<xsl:template name="graphic.component.title">
<xsl:param name="node" select="."/>
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$node/d:info/d:mediaobject[@role = graphic.title']">
      <fo:block>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="$node/d:info/d:mediaobject[@role = graphic.title']"/>
      </fo:block>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:call-template name="component.title">
        <xsl:with-param name="node" select="$node"/>       </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>
This will fall back to the title element by calling 'component.title' if there is no mediaobject with that role.

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 12:39 PM

Hi, there, I was planning a new ebook with my illustrator, and I stumbled upon something which I couldn't figure out.

My illustrator wants to use graphics (i.e., a jpeg file) to serve as the title at the beginning of the chapter.

How do you do that in the docbook way?

In a previous thread, Bob said that you could use an empty title element to suppress the chapter title.
http://markmail.org/message/gkokzarw6zxo3fiq?q=suppress+chapter+title+list:org.oasis-open.lists.docbook-apps

But I would need to have a way for the chapter title to appear in the TOC (and also in the epub navigation document? Does anyone know?)

How can I use a graphic for a chapter heading and still have a nice looking TOC/epub navigation document?

This is actually a common use case in ebook production; often an illustrator will want to embellish a chapter title and maybe integrate it with another graphic. So I'd like a robust solution to this kind of problem (hopefully one already exists!)

Robert

--
Robert Nagle
6121 Winsome Ln #56C, Houston TX 77057-5581