Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] How do you manage your catalogs ?

Peter,

So yours is a workflow where the XML writers don't produce final outputs themselves.  Indeed many/most of them can't do so as they don't have the publishing tools.

Is this the common way DocBook authoring and publishing are done ?

I'm not sure it would work for us.  We produce software and write our own documentation.  And there aren't many of us.

What my colleagues are used to is ediiting in Word and producing PDF straight from it using a third-party pseudo-printer (BullZip) (*).  Some have started producing CHM instead, based on hand-edited HTML (ie edited in FrontPage or _expression_ Web).  We've been told that neither format is suitable for every one of our customers so I'd like to find a way of generating multiple formats - hence trying DocBook.

So from this starting point I think we need a system where everyone can generate any output themselves.

At the moment some of the software and documents are produced by a manual build by an individual developer, and others are produced by an automated build.

Hence the question about how to handle the catalog.

Part of what you say is fine and is the way I'd expect to do it.  The stylesheets etc are in a standard directory, and reorganization therein would be expected to break the system.

Appreciatively,

Richard.

(*)

I know that recent Word can do its own export directly to PDF but thus far I've been unable to get a script working to do this so we're sticking with this method.