Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] numbering parts and articles

Thanks Bob.

Unfortunately, I can't change articles to chapters. We have a huge repository of help topics, each topic corresponds to an xml file, and each file starts with article. Articles are grouped into manuals in many different ways, for different outputs, ect.

I'm willing to try customizing my transformations. Is there a way to identify the templates that need to be modified?

Thanks,
Robert

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
Hi Robert,
The DocBook XSL stylesheets don't have an option to turn on numbering for articles within a part.  Have you considered using chapters instead?  Those are autonumbered.

It would be possible to number articles with a customization that copies all the templates that handle chapter titles and change the element name to article. But it would be quite a few because of details like tables of contents and cross references.  This would make a good feature request for a future release.

If you did change the elements to chapters and you don't want to see "Chapter" in the output, you can change the generated text for chapters to refer to articles or remove the word entirely.  That would be easier than getting numbering of articles to work.

From: robert
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 7:46 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] numbering parts and articles

Hi,

I need some help with part/article numbering. My book has the following structure:

<book>
  <part>
    <article/>
    <article/>
  </part>
  <part>
    <article/>
    <article/>
  </part>
</book>

I'm able control the numbering of part elements, but I cannot do it for article elements. I would like each article within a part element to contain the number of the current part and the number of the current article, separated by '.', i.e.

<book>
  <part>            1. title
    <article/>        1.1 title
    <article/>        1.2 title