Subject: ???TITLE???

No, this is not a spam email. :-) While running some XHTML build tests today, I noticed a couple of warnings like these:

Request for title of element with no title: literal
Request for title of element with no title: link

After debugging, to begin with the conclusion, we found these are annoying but harmless. But I'd like to get rid of them, anyway, if possible. :-)

The ???TITLE??? things in the output come from constructs that attempt to link to a <bridgehead>. For example, in one of our files:

<para>
The join type. For descriptions of the different types, see
Join Types</link>.
</para>

That links to:

<bridgehead id="explain-join-types">
<literal>EXPLAIN</literal> Join Types
</bridgehead>

The link becomes this in the output HTML:

The join type. For descriptions of the different types, see
<a class="link" href="#explain-join-types" title="8.2.2. ???TITLE??? Join Types"><code class="literal">EXPLAIN</code>
Join Types</a>.

So the ???TITLE??? becomes part of the title that is displayed if you hover the mouse over the link, but is not otherwise visible. (That's why it's harmless.)

Each of the ???TITLE??? instances corresponds to the presence of a <literal>something</literal> in the link content. No idea why the stylesheets don't just use the text of the literal in the title attribute value.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong?

Cheers,

Stefan