Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Whitespace handling in "para" elements

Hi Susanne,
It seems this posting did not get a response. I'm pretty sure the handling of whitespace that you are seeing is unique to the roundtrip XSL stylesheet. For FO and HTML outputs, whitespace in para is just copied through to the output, with the expectation that the FO processor or HTML browser will handle it. That does not appear to be the case for MS Word, which requires special handling of the whitespace.

I think this means you should be able to find the source of the problems in the roundtrip stylesheet, but I'm afraid I don't know much about that stylesheet to advise you.

From: "Susanne Wunsch" <docbook-apps@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:44 AM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi,

I have used DocBook several times for Technical Documentation with the
"dblatex" workflow, what really produced a nice output with less work
than creating it with LaTeX directly. :-)

But now I'm forced to produce some MS Word output. The "roundtrip" is
already a good starting point, but contains some bugs, that I try to fix
on the way to my desired documents.

My today's question is the desired whitespace handling inside the "para"
element.

 How are spaces (&#x20;), newlines (&#xA;), carriage returns (&#xD;) in
 the "para" element handled in other output formats?

The current roundtrip preserves all the whitespaces except the first
"newline".

 The first "newline" is dropped, all following are converted into "soft
 breaks".

 "carriage returns" are all preserved!

 What is the reason for this behaviour?

The only hint I could find in TDG was the chapter about "Line-specific
block elements". [1] This chapter would suggest to normalize all spaces
in "para" elements.

So, what to do?

I would be very glad about any comments.

[1] http://www.docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/ch02.html#s.line-specific

Kind regards...
Susanne