Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] GSoC Project Idea: integrated LaTeX output support for the stylesheets

Hi Gabor,

On 04/05/2013 09:09 AM, Gábor Kövesdán wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to apply to this year's Summer of Code and I wanted to share my
> idea with you for discussion.

That's great to hear. I very much share your concern for the lack of
tools to transform DB to printable media, and therefore support the idea
to work in that area. I do have a few questions about your suggested
approach, though.

> There are two projects, db2latex and dblatex, which provide such
> functionality but they do not integrate well with the existing
> stylesheets and dblatex also introduces a new dependency, Python.

Can you elaborate a little how you would reuse existing stylesheets in
your approach ? AFAIU they are all specific to a particular output
medium (e.g. HTML or FO), and so the only way to reuse them would be to
process the generated FO instead of DB, no ?
I'm also not concerned about Python as a dependency. It is widely
available, and seems to me to be a better tool to translate XML to LaTeX
than XSLT. However I'd be happy to learn otherwise. :-)

> Do you also think it is useful? Any potential mentors? Please share
> your thoughts.

While I'm concerned about the scope of the project, I'd be happy to
mentor you again this year.

Regards,
        Stefan