Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] WARNING: cannot add @xml:base to node set root element. Relative paths may not work.

Hi Lars,
You should get that message only when two conditions are met:

1.  You are processing a DocBook 5 document with the non-namespaced stylesheets.
         or
    You are single-step profiling by using profile-docbook.xsl (probably your case).

and

2.  You are using xsltproc (which lacks an extension function to get the name of the current directory).

With either condition in (1), the document is preprocessed into an internal nodeset (a nodeset held in memory) before being processed by the stylesheets.  The internal nodeset loses all contact with the filesystem where the files originated, so the preprocessing template tries to add relative directory references into the internal nodeset by adding xml:base attributes to preserve the relative locations.  It uses an extension function to get the original base directory of the document, but xsltproc does not have a function to fetch that information, while Saxon and Xalan do.

So if you use modular doc and the modules are in various directories, that directory structure  information gets lost in the internal subset.  If your documents don't need such xml:base attributes, then it has no effect on your output.

You can avoid it by either using Saxon, or by using two-step profiling.

From: Lars Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:13 AM

Hello,

since a while I get the following warning during the transformation with the docbook distribution:

WARNING: cannot add @xml:base to node set root element.  Relative paths may not work.

I'm not sure what triggers this warning, a Google search resulted in hints about Docbook V5.0 but I'm still using Docbook 4.5.

I'm currently using the docbook-xsl-1.77.1 distribution and I think (but I'm not sure) that I have this warning since I upgraded from 1.76. The output looks ok to me, but this warning does not create a warm fussy feeling. ;-)

Any hint how to get rid of this warning?

Best regards, Lars