Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Generating e-pub and html indexes

I seem to recall that Framemaker's HTML output used something simple like this for the link text:

cat, [1]
dog, [1], [2], [3], [4]
egret, [1], [2]

This is easily achieved in DocBook XSL by customizing this template from autoidx.xsl:

  <xsl:template match="indexterm" mode="reference">

by replacing how the "title" variable is computed in that template with this:

       <xsl:variable name="title">
             <xsl:text>[</xsl:text>
             <xsl:value-of select="$position"/>
             <xsl:text>]</xsl:text>
       </xsl:variable>

Here the $position value was passed to the template as a parameter, giving it the position in the list of links for that indexterm. If you are using zones in your indexterms, there are a couple of other templates you will need to customize as well.

If you want to pursue your c1s3p7 scheme, the context node for this template is the indexterm in its location in the text. To get the number of its chapter, for example, you could use something like this within the template:

<xsl:apply-templates select="ancestor::d:chapter[1]" mode="label.markup"/>

When customizing index templates, your customization layer will usually need to incorporate the entity declarations that are used in most of the index templates. See the top of the autoidx.xsl file to see how to do that.