Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Webhelp ToC tree depth

Hi, Mark.

I'm not a Webhelp expert but I've used it for a while.

Webhelp generates its TOC using a separate mechanism. It has to
support the JavaScript for the expanding TOC so it does things in a
different way than the standard DocBook TOC functions do. I don't
think the use case you are describing has been included in Webhelp. I
have never minded having all my section levels in the TOC, even if my
chunk depth is lower, so I have never thought about it.

There's a template in webhelp/xsl/webhelp-common.xsl that matches
elements that would be in a TOC. The mode is "webhelptoc." This
doesn't feel very elegant but you could try restricting the match
attribute to sections that have a limited number of section ancestors.
The start tag of the template is:

<xsl:template
  match="d:book|d:part|d:reference|d:preface|d:chapter|d:bibliography|d:appendix|d:article|d:topic|d:glossary|d:section[count(ancestor::d:section)
&lt; 3]|d:simplesect|d:sect1|d:sect2|d:sect3|d:sect4|d:sect5|d:refentry|d:colophon|d:bibliodiv|d:index|d:setindex"
  mode="webhelptoc">

I modified the value for d:section in this example. There are two
other element lists in this template because it seems to call itself
recursively. I made the same change in both of them. I used the number
three here because my chunk level is three (the default). The TOC
would behave very strangely if you restricted the TOC to a shallower
depth than you are chunking.

Sounds like a good feature request
(http://sourceforge.net/p/docbook/feature-requests/).

Good luck.