Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] FO output: xrefs to <para/> always include page number

Hi Alexey,
The hard-coded addition of page number to para xrefs dates back to at least 2002.  I believe it was put in place because a para does not normally have text generated for it, so a page number was generated instead.  However, the stylesheets now have several methods of generating text for any such element, including @endterm, @xrefstyle, and @xreftext. The template does not take into account these other options (except xrefstyle in the xref template).  And I don't know why this "feature" was later added to the link element, which does have its own text.

I agree that this should be configurable without customization of those templates.  Your solution of adding a new param to maintain backwards compatibility is fine with me.  The snapshot builds are working again, so go ahead and check in the changes.

Are you familiar with how the params are handled in the source tree?  The param.xml and param.xsl files are generated in the build from the param.xweb and param.ent files that are kept under source control.

Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 11:43 PM

Hi all,

There seems no easy way to turn off this behavior short of customizing the whole match="link"/match="xref"/name="xref.page.citation" templates.

It seems somewhat counterintuitive that <para> element ignores the settings of $insert.*.page.number parameters. But, if it is required to preserve backward compatible behavior - is it at least possible to at least make it configurable, e.g. something along the lines of the attached patch?

PS. The patch does not update fo/param.xml: I cannot describe why the new parameters are needed until I know the reason for the current behavior.

Regards,

Alexey.