Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] impotent "space-before.*" in attribute set component.title.properties

Hi Erik,
You have run into a feature of XSL-FO. The space-before property is purposely ignored at the top of a page unless it is also accompanied by

space-before.conditionality="retain"

That is because when a block element is bumped to the next page during pagination, its text will start at the top of the body area as you would expect, rather than pushed down by its space-before property. In the case of a chapter title that you know starts at the top of a page and you want the space, you have to override that feature with this property.

From: "Erik Leunissen" <e.leunissen@hccnet.nl>
Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:20 AM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>

I'm customizing the appearance of chapter titles using the attribute set below in my customization layer.

No matter to what extreme values I set the "space-before.*" attributes, they don't make any difference at all in the fo output (PDF). This as opposed to the "space-after.*" attributes, to which the output is sensitive as expected.

I'm clueless about what's going wrong: my logic, xsl or fop processing, ...

Any help in directing me where to look for something inappropriate is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Erik Leunissen.
--

Processing system
-----------------

Customization
-------------
<xsl:attribute-set name="component.title.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="font-size">
    <xsl:value-of select="$body.font.master * 4.0"></xsl:value-of>
    <xsl:text>pt</xsl:text>
  </xsl:attribute>

  <!-- The following lines don't have any effect at all -->
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.minimum">12.0em</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.optimum">13.0em</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.maximum">14.0em</xsl:attribute>

  <!-- These do affect the output -->
  <xsl:attribute name="space-after.minimum">2.5em</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-after.optimum">3.0em</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-after.maximum">3.5em</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

-- end of message --