Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Equations in docbook not working

Hi,
The # character in FOP output means the fonts that are specified in the FO output do not contain a glyph for that character, in this case math symbols.  You will need to add a font that has them.  See this reference for details:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SpecialChars.html#MissingChars

Were the superscripts working?

Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:59 PM

Hi Thanks for your reply,

Sorry but i changed the doctype in the included file : test.xml  to get
<!DOCTYPE equation PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
<alt>x^n + y^n &ne; z^n &forall; n &gt; 2</alt>
<mathphrase>x<superscript>n</superscript>
 + y<superscript>n</superscript>
≠ z<superscript>n</superscript>
 ∀ n ≠ 2</mathphrase>
</equation>

But now the equation appears but not correctly i got :

xn + yn # zn # n # 2

did you get the correct formula when you tried ?

First make sure your DOCTYPEs are correctly used. I corrected the included file's DOCTYPE before it would legally compile.

          "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd">
<alt>x^n + y^n &ne; z^n &forall; n &gt; 2</alt>
<mathphrase>x<superscript>n</superscript>
 + y<superscript>n</superscript>
 z<superscript>n</superscript>
  n  2</mathphrase>
</equation>

This compiled correctly on my system.

I use MathML for all of my equations. See Bob Stayton's book for a better explanation of how to integrate MathML equations.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dean Nelson