Subject: Strange issue with para customization affecting footnotes

I discovered a nasty side effect of a para customization:

When copying the d:para template from ./fo/block.xsl to a private customization layer, and using that customization file to produce PDF, the footnote numbers disappear.

This behaviour can be exercised using the attached docbook xml and corresponding stylesheet. Just uncomment/comment out the d:para template to see the effect.

Any modification based off this template[*] has the same effect and makes them unusable.

I'm baffled. What's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Erik Leunissen.
--

[*] I intended to use a modified d:para template to customize the vertical spacing before certain paragraphs (those immediately following a bridgehead). But since it also removes the footnote numbering, I can't use it.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

  <para>When copying the d:para template<footnote>
      <para>from ./fo/block.xsl </para>
    </footnote> to a private customization layer, and using that customization
  file to produce PDF<footnote>
      <para>using xsltproc and fop.</para>
    </footnote>, footnote numbers disappear. Any modification based off this
  template has the same effect. So, how can one make a customization that uses
  other attribute sets on certain paragraphs?</para>

  <programlisting>&lt;xsl:template match="d:para"&gt;
  &lt;xsl:variable name="keep.together"&gt;
    &lt;xsl:call-template name="pi.dbfo_keep-together"/&gt;
  &lt;/xsl:variable&gt;
  &lt;fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="para.properties"&gt;
    &lt;xsl:if test="$keep.together != ''"&gt;
      &lt;xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column"&gt;&lt;xsl:value-of
                      select="$keep.together"/&gt;&lt;/xsl:attribute&gt;
    &lt;/xsl:if&gt;
    &lt;xsl:call-template name="anchor"/&gt;
    &lt;xsl:apply-templates/&gt;
  &lt;/fo:block&gt;
&lt;/xsl:template&gt;
</programlisting>