Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Should xmllint successfully validate docbook 5 containing XIncludes?

The short answer is no, xmllint does not successfully validate DocBook 5 documents that are in fact valid.

I normally use Jing to validate DocBook 5. I've not seen it hang like you have.

From: "Jon Leech" <jon@alumni.caltech.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 3:34 AM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>

I'm trying to validate some documents generated by the db4-upgrade.xsl from existing (validating) db4 documents. Validating the resulting db5 results in mysterious errors that don't seem to correspond to actual problems. Eventually I figured out that if I inlined content that had originally been XIncluded, the errors went away. The especially mystifying part is that the reported errors
are in parts of the document having nothing to do with the apparently
offending xi:include element.
Should I expect xmllint to operate properly with XIncludes? xmllint doesn't have any problems validating the original db4 documents, which also contain XIncludes, so it seems to be somehow related to db5, but I'm out of my depth at
this point.
    I've attached a (relatively) minimal case below; valid.xml inlines
the file, invalid.xml instead XIncludes it. Running

xmllint --noout --xinclude --relaxng http://docbook.org/xml/5.0/rng/docbook.rng valid.xml invalid.xml

results in

valid.xml validates
invalid.xml:27: element variablelist: Relax-NG validity error : Expecting element example, got variablelist invalid.xml:37: element variablelist: Relax-NG validity error : Element refsection has extra content: variablelist invalid.xml:34: element refsection: Relax-NG validity error : Element refentry has extra content: refsection
invalid.xml fails to validate

but the xi:include element in invalid.xml doesn't occur until line 48, well
after the reported errors.

I attempted using jing on these documents to try and see if this behavior is an xmllint-specific problem, but it appears to just hang up forever (not the
case with other schema and documents I've used jing on). Are there any
other validators I should be trying on Debian 7?

    Thanks,
    Jon Leech