Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] smart quotes are acting stupid in Firefox & IE; why?

Hi Jirka,
I just tested again with xhtml/docbook.xsl, and you are correct that Saxon does not output that <meta> tag when output method="xml", but xsltproc does with that stylesheet. But xsltproc does so only when the XHTML DTD is specified. When the DTD reference is removed, as in xhtml5, then xsltproc does not. If xsltproc is being used for xhtml5 output, then I think you would have to resort to manually adding that meta tag to the 'user.head.content' template.

From: "Jirka Kosek" <jirka@kosek.cz>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:22 AM
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
Cc: "Stefan Knorr" <sknorr@suse.de>; <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>; "Robert Nagle" <idiotprogrammer@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] smart quotes are acting stupid in Firefox & IE; why?

On 28.10.2013 17:11, Bob Stayton wrote:
But I also found that when processing with the xhtml5 stylesheet instead
of xhtml, that <meta> element is *not* output automatically (and the
epub3 stylesheet is based on xhtml5).   I thought that was odd, since
the xhtml5 stylesheet imports from the xhtml directory.  By
experimentation, I found that the crucial difference is that the xhtml5
stylesheet does not set the doctype attributes in the xsl:output
element, because the XHTML5 standard does not support a DTD.  Apparently
xsltproc and Saxon relied on the doctype attributes to generate that
encoding meta element.

That's not entirely true. <meta> tag is generated when output method is
html or xhtml (<xsl:output method="html|xhtml"/>). XSLT 1.0 doesn't
support xhtml output method so xml method is used instead which doesn't
generate <meta> tag.

If original poster is using Saxon, then best solution is to use
saxon:xhtml as an output method -- this makes xhtml output method
available in XSLT 1.0 as well.

				Jirka