Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Syntax highlighting

> 7 dec 2013 kl. 21:35 skrev Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>:
>
>> On 6.12.2013 22:53, Norman Walsh wrote:
>> It appears that modern systems do this in the JavaScript layer on the
>> client. They also use tables to render line numbers.
>>
>> I'm tempted to move in this direction. Comments?
>
> I have used both approaches. Problem with Javascript one is that it
> doesn't work for print (neither of XSL-FO, HTML/CSS composition egines
> support Javascript) and sometimes introduces delay in rendering. On the
> other hand Javascript syntax highlighters are in a more active
> development then highlighting extensions for XSLT.
>
>> As long as I'm airing dirty laundry, I'm also tempted to abandon the
>> XSL stylesheets and work instead on a purpose-built HTML+CSS rendering
>> for printing.
>
> Do you mean completely removing existing incomplete fo code from project?
>
> I think that we can keep code here in the case someone will have time
> and interest to improve it further.
>
> With HTML+CSS composition there is one big problem -- there is (at least
> to my knowledge) no free renderer, I'm aware only of PrinceXML and
> AntennaHouse.

Actually, there is a renderer that is able to generate PDF from HTML with really good results. Wkhtmltopdf (https://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/). It's basically a wrapper for the WebKit engine used by safari, chrome etc. Not sure if the WebKit they are using right now is bleeding edge. Anyway, it produces quite decent PDFs.

I would definitely vote for the HTML route. Styling printable output with CSS would make the whole development process much more easier and less time consuming than it is today with XSL.

/frank