Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Customizing font kerning / letter spacing in Arial with FOP/XEP

Hi,
I doubt if kerning will have much effect, since it only adjusts spacing between certains pairs of characters. In this case, I think you mean tracking, which is the general horizontal spacing between characters (also called letter-spacing).

You can use the 'letter-spacing' attribute in XSL-FO to adjust that. Since this property is inherited, you can set this property in the DocBook table.table.properties attribute-set, something like this:

<xsl:attribute-set name="table.table.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="letter-spacing">0.02em</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

Its value is added to the normal spacing between characters. A positive value spreads the text, and a negative value compacts the text.