Subject: Possible to render footnotes on the same page as the reference?

I know very little about docbook, I'm just starting to edit a set of documents that is using it.

The application I'm working on generates documents from docbook files through Flying Saucer and iText.

I see that footnotes currently render at the end of chapters, as opposed to the end of the page.  Is it practical and possible to make footnotes render at the bottom of the page?