Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Thanks!

I'd suggest finding common solutions to the major issues and
contributing back to the distribution so you can avoid fixing the same
problems in different ways and having to maintain those in your own forks.

Maybe start with some discussion here and based on your conclusions log
bugs and feature requests in the issue tracker. Patches are welcome and
if you want to be more deeply involved you could become a contributor.

I'm happy that people are finding webhelp useful, but I'm not using it
in my current role so I haven't paid too much attention to it lately.

I think starting off with some general discussion about goals would be a
good place to start. For example, is it important that it work from the
file system? That places some constraints on what you can do (e.g. no
lazy loading of the toc).

What are the main frustrations? One of mine would be that the way the
toc works bloats the pages for large books.

Should other options for search be provided? E.g. you could replace the
javascript search with a Google site search. Believe it or not, all the
books in the "API Documentation" portion of this site is actually
webhelp (it's my former employer and I was involved in the implementation):

http://docs.rackspace.com/servers/api/v2/cs-gettingstarted/content/overview.html

The header and footer is provided from a single location "as a service"
and pulled in to each page with some javascript and the search is