Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] footnotes author

Hi Jean-Marie,
Changing the footnote mark in a footnote is a little tricky because the mark has to be generated within the same formatting block as the para, so it is on the same line as the footnote's text. The stylesheets each have a template written specifically to handle this case.

For fo output, there is a template in fo/footnote.xsl that starts with:

<xsl:template match="d:footnote/d:para[1]
                     |d:footnote/d:simpara[1]
                     |d:footnote/d:formalpara[1]"
              priority="2">

That template formats the footnote mark within the fo:block of the first para. To add the role, you'll need something like:

    <xsl:if test="../@role">
      <xsl:text> [</xsl:text>
      <xsl:value-of select="../@role"/>
      <xsl:text>] </xsl:text>
    </xsl:if>

Since this template's context is para, you'll need to use ../@role to refer to the role attribute on the footnote. You can add inline formatting as needed.

For HTML and epub, there is a similar template in footnote.xsl that starts with:

<xsl:template match="d:footnote/d:para[1]|d:footnote/d:simpara[1]" priority="2">

These templates assume the first element in a footnote is a para. If it isn't then you have more work to do.

If you need any additional help, feel free to ask.