Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Epub chunking customization

Hi Martin,
I suspect this is an issue of keeping import precedence straight, a process complicated by the fact that epub3 imports stylesheet files.

Try this description of customizing epub3 and let me know if you have better results.

Customizing the epub3 stylesheet
---------------------------------
As with all DocBook stylesheets that generate chunked output, a
customization requires two files: one for chunking behavior and
one for element formatting.  Most people only need to customize
element formatting, but you still need the two files to keep the
proper import precedence.  See this doc for details about this
issue:

   http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ChunkingCustomization.html

Here is an example of the chunking stylesheet, which is the one you
apply to your document when processing:

custom-epub3-chunk.xsl
<?xml version="1.0"?>
                xmlns:d="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
                version="1.0"
                exclude-result-prefixes="d">

<!-- Import the element customization module, shown below -->
<xsl:import href="custom-epub3-elements.xsl"/>

<!-- import stock DocBook XSL file; use a catalog for local files-->
<xsl:import href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk-common.xsl"/>

<!-- include (not import) stock DocBook XSL file; use a catalog for local files--> <xsl:include href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk-code.xsl"/>

<!-- include (not import) stock DocBook XSL file; use a catalog for local files--> <xsl:include href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/epub3/epub3-chunk-mods.xsl"/>

<!-- Add here any templates that change chunking behavior.
That is, any templates copied from chunk-common.xsl or
chunk-core.xsl and modified.  Any such customized templates
with a @match attribute must also have a priority="1"
attribute to override the original in chunk-code.xsl -->

</xsl:stylesheet>

The following stylesheet file is imported by the above file.

custom-epub3-elements.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
  xmlns:d="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
  exclude-result-prefixes="#default d"
  version="1.0">

<xsl:import href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml5/docbook.xsl"/> <xsl:include href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/epub3/epub3-element-mods.xsl"/>

<!-- Add here any templates that change element format.  Any
such customized templates with a @match attribute must also
have a priority="1" attribute to override the original.  -->

<!-- Add here any templates that change element formatting.
That is, any templates not copied from chunk-common.xsl or
chunk-core.xsl.  Any customized templates with a @match