Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Strategies for Migrating DocBook Customization in a Mixed DB4/5 Environment?

Hi,

when we made the DB4>5 transition, I had to spend some time to review our customizations. Since I have inherited some of these from ~1.68 stylesheets (not to mention that some of them was pretty obscure), this was really useful to find out if we really needed the customization, and also to check if there was now an easier way to accomplish it (for example, some ugly hacks done in our customizations could be replaced by using new attribute sets).

In the end, our customization layer became significantly more understandable (at least for me), and we managed to get rid of a bunch of unneeded XSL code.

I'd recommend starting with sample document and a clean (read: empty) customization file, then:
 * select a block (or "feature") in your old customization
 * check the DB5 stylesheets that is still the way to do what you want
   * if no, then use a new parameter/method/whatever
   * if yes, then compare the related parts of the DB4 and DB5 stylesheets, see what your customization did to this part, then try to add your customization to the DB5 stylesheet. Then see if it works as expected :)

Regards,

Robert