Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] PDF-like HTML output

I have a little experience in this arena with my latest project. A great resource I found for things like dynamic page numbers and other features was this article

http://alistapart.com/article/building-books-with-css3

In it they actually discuss the table of contents issue you mention.

For reference, if you want to see what I personally have done with it so far, you can take a look at the html output at http://rwdalpe.github.io/two-graves/player-guide/

There's a link to the PDF output at the top of the page.

Princexml is the tool I have been using to convert html+css into PDF.

So far I have found this preferable to xsl-fo and haven't encountered a killer missing feature yet.

On 8/9/15 4:45 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> (1) there was lot of work in W3 recently dedicated in CSS for paged media
> (2) there are conversion tools from HTML+CSS to PDF utilizing these features
> (3) some interesting _javascript_ libraries have appeared (e.g.
> vivliostyle.js) emulating the intended rendering to 'yet inmature' browsers
> (polyfills)
>
> which make me wonder if there is an interest in making some kind of
> reference implementation of PDF-like output in HTML+CSS from DocBook source,
> especially for (3). Has anybody any experience with it?

There were some mumblings a while ago that this might be the direction
of print output, seeing that XSL-FO doesn't have much activity anymore.
 So more investigation is surely welcome.

I played with this a while ago, and while you can get pretty good
looking "print" output with fairly little effort, there are some obvious
functionality gaps, such as: How do you produce a table of contents with
page numbers?