Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] PDF-like HTML output

Dear Carlos,

thanks for your valuable feedback!

On 2015-08-19 Carlos Araya wrote:
> The main issue for me is that, to my knowledge, there is no open source
> solution that works with CSS Paged media and its associated generated
> content) and none of the available commercial solutions is cheap.

I personally take those HTML+CSS processors as temporary 'dead end' solution
which will be (in long term) replaced with regular web browsers.

So I was quite skeptic to CSS paged media (not mature yet, expensive
processors) ... until I met vivliostyle.js. It brings CSS paged media to
browsers NOW. To some extent it makes dedicated processors redundant.

I don't believe all works in reality as smooth as announced on their page,
but I like the concept. As it is open source, you can extend it if you find
some funcionality missing. So instead of patching XSL-FO processors I'd
rather patched this Javascript library (if I could). It is also temporary
'dead end' which will be replaced with regular browsers, but you can prepare
the content in pure CSS standard NOW with minimal risk of further updates
when browsers will become mature enough.

Once your content is rendered in a browser, it is quite straight forward to
convert it into PDF. But to be honest, this conversion IMHO doesn't make
much sense any more ;-)

All above shouldn't be taken too seriously. It is just my (naive) view.

> The final question I'd have before jumping into CSS Paged Media
> development is for what version of the stylesheets?

While I'd prefer XSLT2, I am afraid this is not acceptable by majority of
end users.

Jan