Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Show off what you've done with Docbook

Gerard's points 1 and 2 are quite valid.

Setting up my DocBook toolchain was quite the graduate course in frustration. I wrote up notes about how I set it up here: http://www.millermattson.com/blog/docbook-toolchain/, mostly so I could do it again years later after forgetting!

And my client wanted quite a few customizations, so I had to delve very deeply into the XSLT which is an intricate tapestry of spaghetti. I ended up with a pretty intense customization chain, but even then, there were some nits I was never quite able to figure out. If I can find those notes I’ll post those on my blog, too.

I still say that the power of DocBook is not in its ability to create documents, but in its ability to output a document **and** HTML from the same source. But when
i worked with it, we only generated HTML. And for all the monumental hassle of dealing with the toolchain + tortuously laboring in the XSLT, to just get a simple HTML site at the end was sad: I could have created something so much nicer in just straight HTML +CSS!

I've seen some pretty nice documents in this thread, but not so many HTML-plus-PDF pairs of documents (although I have yet to sit down and look at all the responses to this thread yet).  I think a nice looking document is fine — but it is a nice-looking document **paired with** navigable HTML is the real win.

The HSA Foundation specs, PDF and HTML, were output from a single data source.  http://www.hsafoundation.com/html/HSA_Library.htm   We used Madcap Flare for this project, which is a fantastic tool with a price tag and learning curve which IMHO removes it from consideration outside of the corporate setting. So I’m still looking… and I’m not sure DocBook will cure this ill...

K.