Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Show off what you've done with Docbook

I’ve gotten fantastic results from LaTeX — output to PDF

But really what this thread was from the beginning was getting **Both** PDF and HTML from a single source.

I have yet to find a good solution for getting good HTML from LaTex — has anyone else here?

On Sep 14, 2015, at 11:14 AM, Eric Streit <eric@yojik.eu> wrote:

Good evening,

Le 14/09/2015 16:53, maxwell a écrit :
> On 2015-09-14 03:07, Eric Streit wrote:
>> I tried DBLaTeX: the output is better, but it's only docbook 4.
>
> Not sure what you mean here.  You mean you're still working in DB4?  I
> vaguely recall that we started out using dblatex with DB4 before we
> moved to DB5.  At any rate we've been using dblatex with DB5 for a long
> time.  I *think* dblatex still handles DB4, but I haven't tried it for
> years (if at all).

yes, I know and I use DBLaTeX with DB5. But the core is DB4.5

>> Some of the above problems were solved using DBLaTeX, but the output
>> needs some adjustments: maybe new styles ....
>
> No doubt.  Fortunately and unfortunately, there's a huge number of pages
> on the web about formatting LaTeX documents to look like nearly anything
> you can imagine.  FWIW, I would recommend using xelatex, rather than
> vanilla latex, because xelatex (often referred to as xetex: xetex is to
> xelatex as tex is to latex) handles Unicode UTF-8 out of the box.
> Almost all LaTeX packages can be used in XeLaTeX (the ones that can't
> are mostly ones that do something special with non-unicode characters).
> dblatex will output xe(la)tex-conformant code if you give it the command
> line parameter
>    -b xetex

I use XeLaTex (TEX and LaTeX) since a long time (I was one of the LaTeX
French FAQ maintainer. The FAQ is still available here:
http://faqfctt.yojik.eu/  (my server).)

But what the discussion was about here,  was the ease of use of Docbook.

So, yes, Docbook, FOP or DBLaTeX work out of the box, but they need a
lot of adjustments if you want to improve the output, either the PDF or
the HTML or EPUB.

The documents shown here in the thread (not mine, of course..) needed a
lot of work to get these beautiful results.

Maybe we could create something like the themes in  "bluelatex",
"sharelatex" for Docbook: they have some models very easy to use and
give a nice output. (I used one for my curriculum vitae last week:
lettre and CV packages with kile editor)

It was just a few minutes work to get a perfect document.

The same with Docbook is possible, but not out of the box.

Best regards

Eric