Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Madcap Flare to Docbook conversion

On 2015-12-09 Frank Arensmeier wrote:
> On 2015-12-09 Peter Lavin wrote:
> > On 2015-12-09 Frank Arensmeier wrote:
> > >
> > > I am wondering, does anyone have any experience with transforming
> > > Madcap Flare to Docbook?
> >
> > Do you have access to Flare HTML output files? If so, use these
> > files rather than the "raw" Flare files. The raw files will
> > probably contain proprietary tags
>
> I was hoping for someone who already has done something similar before
> and who could share some insights.

It resembles my situation some time ago when incorporating (external) Author-it documentation into our Docbook based workflow. Although it is presented as single source tool with ability to 'export' XML file, this XML is rather a database dump of various tables with complex relationships, which turned out to be too complex for converting into a typical document structure.

We finally decided to migrate those documents manually (copy & paste). Most of them were later refactored anyway to match our writing style/rules.

But it depends on the ammount...

Btw, what is the reason to abandon Flare in favor of Docbook?

Regards, Jan