Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Set Index

Think I will try to put an abbreviated name of the book with each index item.  May get bulky, but think that might be the best with my limited knowledge of dockbooks and the language.  Maybe I can figure out some way to get the abbreviated names of each book in a list.  I think there will be about 6 books within a set, so that may work.

Thank you,

Emily Forsyth
Fluids & Machinery Engineering Department
Propulsion & Energy Machinery
Southwest Research Institute
Tel:  210.522.2045
Email:  emily.forsyth@swri.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:44 PM
To: Forsyth, Emily B.; Pc Thoms
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Emily,
First, the stylesheet parameter 'index.links.to.section' applies to the HTML stylesheet, not the PDF stylesheet.  And stylesheet parameters are set in a stylesheet customization file, not in the document itself.

It sounds like what you want is to add a prefix to each page number in the setindex to indicate which book it is in.  As you say, some index entries may appear in both books, so the designation would have to be associated with the page number, not the indexterm.

DocBook XSL does not yet have a feature to generate such a prefix, but it is possible to write an XSL customization for it.  If you are new to DocBook and XSL, then that would be challenging because the index templates are among the most complex templates in the stylesheet.

I could help with some of the specifics, but if you are going to get into customization I would suggest you learn a bit about it so you can set it up properly.  You might start with this description of DocBook
customization:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomMethods.html

Do you know what the index would look like with the book designations?
Using the book title seems a bit long for a prefix on every page number.